Today Dora is a part of town Yaremche. It lies at 500 meters above sea level. The village lies in the valley of the Prut River and on the slopes of the mountain ranges of the Ukrainian Carpathians. On the east there is Malev mountain, on the south – Makovytsya and on west – Synyachka. Village relates to the continental European climate, with abundant and sufficient moisture, unstable spring, cool summers, warm autumns, mild winters. Its beauty, clean mountain air, original hills, mirror clear water from mountain streams all this attracts a lot of tourists to Dora.
The origin of the name Dora
Until recently it was thought that the name of the village Dora comes from the Jewish Dora Haykin, which opened inn in the city. Hence the name “to Dora,” “from Dora.” But there is another interpretation of the name. “Dora” – is a consecrated bread. Researcher of Hutsul area Professor Vladimir Shuhevich connects “Dora” with Easter. There was one of the oldest churches in Dora, of course, mountaineers came every Sunday and on holidays here to worship, and to keep carrying Easter bread Dora-cake.
Another researcher of Hutsul area B. Lyashchuk makes the version of the origin of place name Dora – from term “dor”, “Dora”, that is the place cleared for arable land, uprooting – doraing bushes, stumps.
Local archaeologist M.Klapchuk submitted new scientific interpretation: the word “Dora” is Turkic by origin and in Ukrainian translation means “door” so, Dora – a door in the Carpathians, cut through the river Prut between two tall peaks: on left – Makovytsya and on right – Chornohora.
The first written mention of the Dora recorded in 1618.
Population of Dora village
In 1781 there were 68 houses (71 family) and 351 person in Dora. 5% of the population lived in temporary buildings (cabin, tent). In 1787 magnates owned a majority of land in Dora (87%), farmers possess only 39.4 morgue of ground, however, began to engage in farming.
In 1847 on the brink of Delyatyn and Dora there was mentioned in documents a foundry company, where iron was smelted from local marsh ore on charcoal, which was manufactured by the White Stone tract. In 1857 there were 248 morgues land in Dora. In 1848 the peasants were freed from serfdom and became equal citizens of Austria-Hungary.
“After census enumeration from the date of 12.31.1880 p. Dora and Yaremche had: 341 houses, 1628 inhabitants, of which – 1553 Greek Catholics, 1 Roman Catholic, 74 Jews. There have been 502 units of cattle, horses 22, 1030 sheep, 8 goats, 204 pigs.
Since 31.12.1890 p. Dora and Yaremche had 365 houses with 1945 inhabitants, of which 1783 Greek Catholics, 29 Roman Catholics, 133 Jews. There were also 780 units of cattle, 97 horses, 1287 sheep, 24 goats, 310 pigs.
In 1899, in Dora lived 1992 people, was 1-classroom school. Obliged to science – 133 pers., including 43 persons studying.” Dora developed as a suburban settlement type town.
Studite monks in Dora
A new chapter in the history of Dora was opened by Studite monks that at the end of August 1935 with the blessing of Metropolitan Andrey and Abbot Clement Sheptytsky and with the consent of Bishop Gregory Khomyshyn come here to live permanently.
At that time in Dorivskiy monastery three monks of the Holy Assumption Monastery started living there: Hieromonk Andrew – John Abrahamovych and brothers Peter Chuchman and Sozonti Telishevskyy. To revitalize religion of inhabitants Met. Andrea and Clement were helped by Elijah Joanna Kokorudzy. They gladly gave two houses in Dora to use and a good chunk of the field. This is famous patronage couple in Galicia. Elijah Kukurudz was the director of corn “Alma Mater” in Lviv. Studites remembered and remember their benefactors. In 1936 seven monks lived in the monastery, which was given under the care of St. Holy Glorious Prophet. Elijah and St. John the Baptist. In a short time in spring 1936 in Dora studites organized industrial school with divisions: sewing, shoe and carpenter. Monks has taught Hutsul guys various crafts. Craft school was full of students.
The construction of the church of St. Elijah in Dora
In the spring of 1937 when the monk Bartholomew was an abbot the construction of the monastery church began in Dora. John Javorskiy from the village Zarichya was the master. A mysterious story related to the start of construction, which was witnessed by monks: br. Michael (future yerm. Modest), br. Patrick and br. Dionysius. One night on a place where the church had be standing the light as a shining cloth, tied the four corners descended and then rose up from heaven. Monks understood this phenomenon as a sign of God’s blessing for the exaltation of the temple. The work was done throughout the year and finished in the summer of 1938 under the guidance of another master of the village Zhab’ye – Peter Hryhorchuk. The temple was elevated in the Hutsul style in shape of a cross.
The church has an oval iconostasis. Icons placed on the iconostasis, executed by firing and partly decorated with flat-relief carving. Director of the local school, Mr. John Svyschuku, created this project of the iconostasis and its manufacturing. The believers who come to pray in the temple, pay special attention to icons of Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary (shown in full height).
Over icons there are the 12 major religious holidays and icon of the The Last Supper. Above them there are icons of the Apostles, and in the middle – the icon of Christ the Almighty. Above them – icons of the Old Testament prophets. The iconostasis is crowned by Crucifixion, which is surrounded on both sides by the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Revelator. Crucifix is made by modern craftsmen. Under icons there are also two icons made in firing technique. Between the deacon and the king’s gate there are icons of St. Holy Glorious Prophet. Elias, who is the patron of this church and St. Father Nicholas.
Monastery in Dora always maintained close ties with the alma mater Holy Assumption Monastery. In 1939 old yerm. Matei got sick. A further stay in Dora was impossible, and he was transferred to the Univ. From 1941 to 1943 yerm. Marco (Michael Stack) was the abbot of monastery, who in 1944 went to Germany.
In 1943, despite the fact that Dora had ieromonks, ierodeacon Myron (Michael Derenyuk) became the abbot of monastery, who belonged to the first Studite monks from Sknylov. From 1943 to 1945 the monastery had yerm. Martin (Michael Martyniuk) within it.
In 1946 Greek Catholic Church was banned. Studite monks were forced to operate underground. Indoors monastery church acted as Museum of Atheism. In the underground Church monasteries had a special place. They took the hardest hit of the communist regime. Religious communities of different congregations without any difficulty went deep in the catacombs. Even “all-powerful” KGB could not do anything with religious parties. Monastery life went a little silent only when yerm. Porphyry was imprisoned. But in those moments the glowing spark of prayer was supported by ex. Myron and nuns who didn’t leave this holy place. In Dora during the totalitarian regime, apart from the monastery, two underground seminary group were also active. Providence of God charged so much that the forces of darkness were defeated by the forces of good. In 1990 God brought a great relief for religion. Slowly Greek Catholics began to rebuild their churches and proceed worshiping in them. January 28, 1990 entered the annals of our monastery as first day in decades in the church of St. Holy Glorious Prophet Elijah Bishop Julian Voronovskyy (then abbot of Studite monks) in co-service with ieromonks and priests celebrated St. Liturgy. In memory of the return of the sanctuary a wooden cross was installed. In September, 1991 Monastery in Dora got a new abbot yerm. Alexander (Omelian Prylipa) originating from Ternopil Church. Restored all that was destroyed. But the hardest is to restore the temple of the soul. That’s exactly what most monks work on in the Carpathians.
Unfortunately on the March 15, 2014 the church on the territory of monastery St. Elijah in Dora got burned. For now two versions of fires are considered: over a candle and arson.