Dzembronya and Bystrets

dzembronia

Dzembronya village and Cheremosh river

Brief overview of the villages Dzembronya and Bystrets

 

Bystrets

The high-mountain river with pure spring water Bystrets flows through the village that gives the name to the village. In Kedrovatyy stow the natural focus of the stone pine is survived. Within the territory of Bystrets there is a high mountain valley Gadzhina where large herds of cows, sheep graze and the ancient life style of a mountain valley household is survived. There was a villa in the village Bystrets, where the famous Polish writer S. Vincenz, the author of the epic tetralogy about Hutsulshchyna “On a high mountain valley”, lived together with his family. The distance to the district center is 19 km and 50 km to the railway station of Vorokhta. Bystrets was founded as a settlement in the XV century. By 1939, it was a part of the village Zhabye. Now it is a separate village. Outstanding Ukrainian poet Ivan Franko often visited Bystrets. On his advice, a group of farmers led by M. Zelenchuk, F. Saviuk, S. Slovak, P. Biloholovyi won permission from the authorities for opening a reading room and a school in the village. In 1934-1938 the Polish composer S. Merchynskyi recorded here Hutsul songs.

A council is the Bystrets village council. The village was founded in 1893. The population of the village is 362 people. The land area is 11 square kilometers. The post code is 78707. The telephone code is +380 03432. A reservoir of the village Bystrets is the river Bystrets.

These beautiful villages of the picturesque Carpathian Mountains are located in the western part of the region. The village Bystrets is situated on the banks of the river Bystrets, and the village Dzembronya – on the banks of the river, which gave its name to the village. The rivers Bystrets and Dzembronya are the left tributaries of the Black Cheremosh.

Bystrets did not change its name. But Dzembronya was previously called Berestechko, because it was recalled so in the Soviet time. But the name did not take hold, people continued to call their village as of old, and since 1994 it became Dzembronya again.

The name of the village Bystrets comes from the name of the stream. According to historical research, it was a settlement near Dzembronya, and earlier – Zhabia – Iltsi. It was formed as a village in XIX- early last century.

Dzembronya

The village Dzembronya got its name from buffalo (Polish – dzembr). It is also known that Dzembronya was a settlement near Zhabye – Iltsi in 1720. This village is the most high-mountain village of Ukraine and is located on the steep slopes of the Chornohora range. From Dzembronya the shortest mountain trailways lead up to Chornohora (Pip Ivan) with the ruins of a two-storey stone house and a tower of an astronomical observatory on top. Hutsuls consider Chornohora their sacred mountain, where in ancient times there was a pagan temple. As legacy of those distant times, the ancient folk tradition of the mass ascent of the mountain Chornohora overnight into Ivana Kupala Fest has been retained. The mountain forests of Dzembronya harbored bisons, which gave the name to the village.

For some decades the famous Ukrainian drawing artist Yakutovych, who was an artist of the film “Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors”, lived and worked every summer in Dzembronya, in the settlement Stepanskyi, which had the picturesque Chornohora views. Dzembronya is surrounded by such peaks: Munchel (2000m.), Dzembronya (1880m.), Smotrych (1901m.) Staiky (1782m.), Stepanets (1658m.), Kosharyshche (1148m .), Stepanskyi (1124m.), Skorushnyi (1551m.). Mykulenska (1728m.).

A legend says that in those far times there was a market near the mountain Piltse that was called Black. People came back after trading. But robbers waited for them in the forest thicket and confiscated money, goods, horses. So this place was talked about as a place full of dangers and risks and was called “under Black Mountain”. From here the name Chornohora (Black Mountain) came. In 1730 Oleksa Dovbush came here with his fellows. They went through Bystrets to Cherdak then through Kosharyshche to Sidets and Kedrovatyi. Now people say: “Dovbush’s Sidets”.

Four centuries ago a mountain road passed through Dzembronya and connected Romania, Czechoslovakia and Poland.

The villages occupy the north – eastern slopes of Chornohora, the south – western slopes of the ridge Kostrych, the north – eastern slopes of Maryshevska and Marysh ridges and Dzembronya Peak. The village Bystrets occupies the basin of the river Dzembronya. The peaks surrounding the village Bystrets are: Berbenieska (2035m.), Rebra (Ribs) (2001m.), Shpytsi (1864m.), Hadzhyna (1664m.), Marshy (1345m.), Maryshevska (1564m.), Ozernyi (1362m.), and Kostrych (1586m.).

Taking into account, that Dzembronya and Bystrets have particularly advantageous location due to the tourist routes passing through and to Chornohora, especially to Pip Ivan, it is clear, that development of tourism in these villages can be of critical economic importance.

Post Your Thoughts