The first record of Yaremche refers to the census population of 1787 under the Austrian emperor Joseph.
Here lived only families that were registered in the village of Dora. According to stories, more than 200 years ago here settled a fugitive from the feudal system called Yarema Hodovanets. With his name is connected the name of the city.
Still earlier on the present territory of Yaremche are located the villages of Dora and Yamna. Their founding goes back into the 14th and the end of the 17th centuries. The name of the settlement Dora probably comes from the Turk word “dora” which means “doors”. Indeed Dora and now Yaremche is the door to the Carpathians.
With these villages is connected the history of the anti-feudal struggle of the Galician villagers, in which Carpathian villagers are mentioned in the first half of the 18th century. They were led by the Carpathian legendary hero Oleksa Dovbush, who according to folk stories was a person of great spirit and physical strength. A Rock of Dovbush, a Path of Dovbush and a Cave of Dovbush carry his memory from those far times.
At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century the unique natural-climatic conditions of the Carpathian region attracted rich people from Austria and Poland. Yaremche began to grow as a climatic center for healing illnesses of the lungs. The local population was employed in the forestry and agricultural industries.
The bridge on the river Prut is located on kilometer 63,8/9 on the railway line Stanislaviv-Voronenka.
Constructed according to the project of Zigmunt Kulka, professor of the Polytechnic in Lviv.
Later the bridge in Yaremche became a model for all other bridges in Europe and Africa. It is said that similar viaducts in Europe began to appear in the middle of the next century, but in comparison to the Carpathian bridge, they served mostly as bridges for motor-roads. The bridge was built within two years and handed over for usage in 1896.
In July 1917 the bridge was destroyed by explosives by the retreating Russian army during World War I. The Russian army blew up the 12-meter long arch from the side of Delyatyn, which stood next to the 65-meter long arch. Through the explosives both arches were destroyed.
For the renewal of the railway traffic (great necessity to transport the Austrian army), the reconstruction of the bridge began immediately. An 18-meter long metallic arch was erected from elements according to the system of Roth-Wagner, which was installed in place of 12-meter long ruined arch.
Then began the renewal of the 65-meter long arch. In 1925 the Direction of the state railway employed cut stone squares, for the placing and cementing of which only 33 working days were needed. On 13th July 1927 all works were completed. However the original design of Kosinski was changed. Instead of four pylons the main arch was rebuilt on five pylons.
The Soviet authorities were not interested in the attractiveness of the bridge and rebuilt it as a construction from metal and concrete.